Thread: Sad News About Steven Books

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Sad News About Steven Books

From House of Calabash's Facebook page:

I am sad to report that due to Steve's declining health we will closing the House of Calabash sooner then we anticipated. The shop will be transferred to online ordering only on November 1st. We will sell tobacco and pipes until we close.

The closing of the shop will be in the middle of September. The shop hours will be a few days a week, if your wish to buy tobacco on an off day then Steve is more then happy to make an appointment. I am starting to take emails for anyone who wishes to be on the mall order list.

Steve is retiring as the Master Tobacconist and passing the reigns onto me officially in October.
    I am excited to take on the title and be your next Master Tobacconist.

If you have any questions feel free to call Steve 503- 688-0679 or Eva 503- 496- 6817 between the hours of noon and 5pm. We ask kindly to not call on Sundays as that is out family time.

Thank you everyone for supporting Steve and shop through the years and I look forward to everyone joining me on the new chapter for the House of Calabash.

~ Eva Books
    Many of you will recognize Steve as the tobacco mastermind behind not only H of C, but formerly of Rich's Cigar Shop in Portland, Oregon. He is responsible for many extremely highly rated blends, and spent his entire career working with pipe tobacco. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and Eva.

Last edited by HCraven; 08-06-2016 at 03:40.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Pipe smoker since
    on and off 30 years

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks for posting this Herb. I have been a fan of Mr. Books for quite some time and it is sad that he is having such serious health issues. I absolutely love several of his blends and have talked to him on the phone whenever I have placed an order. He is a very kind man and a wealth of knowledge. You can get into a conversation with him and before you know it, 35 - 40 minutes has passed. He is a dying breed. A true tobacconist, much like Dick Silverman aka Chief Catoonah. I know he has been tutoring Eva for years now and I guess she will carry on the tradition. Eva is also a very nice person and easy to talk to. I hope everything works out for them, they are good people.
    "The things a man has to have are hope and confidence in himself against odds, and sometimes he needs somebody, his pal or his mother or his wife or God, to give him that confidence. He's got to have some inner standards worth fighting for or there won't be any way to bring him into conflict. And he must be ready to choose death before dishonor without making too much song and dance about it. That's all there is to it. Clark Gable

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I haven't tried any of his blends, though I have been meaning to for some time. I'd heard that he was one of those rare tobacconists who could just ask you a handful of questions about your smoking preferences and habits and come up with a perfect custom blend for you.
    Herb

Pipe smoker since
    on and off 30 years

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

He made a match of John Cotten's 1 & 2 for a Throwdown a few years ago. Chief Catoonah's blend actually won the competition but of the 2 blends I actually likes Steven's blend more. Now I have never had the original so I can't say if it was accurate in flavor or not. I wasn't sorry to see the Chief win either though, also a great guy and tobacconist.
    "The things a man has to have are hope and confidence in himself against odds, and sometimes he needs somebody, his pal or his mother or his wife or God, to give him that confidence. He's got to have some inner standards worth fighting for or there won't be any way to bring him into conflict. And he must be ready to choose death before dishonor without making too much song and dance about it. That's all there is to it. Clark Gable

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Sad News About Steven Books

Oh man, that's a bummer. When I lived in Portland I would drive out to the House of Calabash every week and Steve and I would talk while we smoked our pipes. He was a really great man and an excellent blender. I hope for the best for him and his family. The House of Calabash will be missed, it was a stunning, old world style tobacco shop. I'm glad to hear that he's passing down the torch to Eva.
    Oh and he had some amazing chops!
    Last edited by Hawky454; 08-07-2016 at 15:43.

Real Name
    Bo Bernhardt
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Sad news, indeed!
    With kind regards, Bo

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

An update: H of C is now selling their antique display cases and other store fixtures. For anyone interested:
    http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/atq/5827194890.html
    Herb

Pipe smoker since

Very sad news indeed. Never tried any of his blends but what a splendid fellow.
    Founding member of The Kearvaig Pipe Club, "The place for chaps who like a smoke on the wild side."

http://kearvaigpipeclub.co.uk/