Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Progression of a Shuckin’ Awe Cob Finish

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    BTW, it works with nekid (natural) cobs too...
    I like 'em all shapes, colors, and sizes. But I love my nekid beauties the best.

Real Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    I don't even own a cob. The last time I smoked one was in the mid '80's (the 1980's!), but the nekkid version looks pretty cool! Highlights the texture nicely. Anthony, some titles for your paper on the subject, The Progression of the Cobist Movement in the Modern American Pipe...Cobism Re-Invented; a Study of Finish and Texture...The Cobists of Today...
    outhouse-6_zpsrqdolynu.jpg
    I'm having a Cobist movement as we speak.
    I can resist anything but temptation.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    I don't even own a cob. The last time I smoked one was in the mid '80's (the 1980's!)
    Every pipeman should have a cob in their life, Dave. I plan to suck you back in. So, go dust off your Spandau Ballet cassettes. You might just need them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunc View Post
    Anthony. The benefit that I see in these is that a lot of cob smokers (yes, I'm thinking of myself) keep a briar or two around the place for when they're out in public.
    Your cobs wouldn't look out of place in the city or at a wedding or something special.
    Fantastic work. Bravo.
    Thanks, Shaun. That's sort of what I'm going for. I'm trying to make a cob for the guys that don't think they like cobs. The finish is just step one (and the most important one for some). I plan to rework the mechanics and construction next and also upgrade the other materials to something of better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbass View Post
    Every thread eventually takes a bad turn if it runs on long enough. Often, we can look back and find the single comment that pointed the direction.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Every pipeman should have a cob in their life, Dave. I plan to suck you back in. So, go dust off your Spandau Ballet cassettes. You might just need them again.

Thanks, Shaun. That's sort of what I'm going for. I'm trying to make a cob for the guys that don't think they like cobs. The finish is just step one (and the most important one for some). I plan to rework the mechanics and construction next and also upgrade the other materials to something of better quality.

Every thread eventually takes a bad turn if it runs on long enough. Often, we can look back and find the single comment that pointed the direction.
    I got that! It was you, Thomas, you naughty boy!! LOL

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Now that is a posh cludgie, right posh!!

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Just don't forget which cob is for smoking while you're in there, Thomas!
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by HCraven View Post
    Just don't forget which cob is for smoking while you're in there, Thomas!
    Oh my, and me with a cold and stuffy nose. Yikes.
    I can resist anything but temptation.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

The Finished Cob

From there, the cob gets a top stain and a trip to the buffer for further polishing before a shellac seal coat is applied to set the stain. The seal coat is very thin and doesn’t add to the shine or reflectivity in any appreciable amount. It does, however, sharpen both somewhat thanks to leveling out of some of the very tiny indentations that still remain. The pipe is lightly buffed one final time to finish up the work.

Due to the unique properties of cobs, each pipe is as individual as a snowflake. So, each gets its own name. Here is the Harvest Jubilee…

This is the best finish I’ve done yet on one of these. There are still a couple of tweaks that I’d like to make, but I have a handle on it now and I’ve worked out some issues that I was having specific to the seal coat. My next set of experiments will be focused on improving mechanics.
    So the Harvest Jubilee arrived today, and, although I couldn't take better photos than Anthony, it looks even better in person. It has an incredibly smooth feel, but doesn't feel sticky and heavily lacquered. It became my favorite cob in an instant, and will see much heavier rotation than the plain old MM General it used to be.

As a unique, artisan pipe, it came in its own custom packaging, appropriate to cobs' humble, utilitarian nature.

I've been smoking a bowl of Symphony in it for a while, and it is just great! Anthony also reworked the draft with a little pipe mud (I believe), and sealed off the area below the stem extension so you don't have to allow loose tobacco and ash to build up at the bottom.

Needless to say, I'm thrilled with this pipe!
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by HCraven View Post
    Anthony also reworked the draft with a little pipe mud (I believe), and sealed off the area below the stem extension so you don't have to allow loose tobacco and ash to build up at the bottom.
    It's kind of a fancy-schmancy, custom mud recipe. I call it "pipe tar". I use the same stuff as a heat barrier for chamber repairs in a briar pipe.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

There you go again, Anthony-- another home run for your good taste and remarkable technique. Gotta be the absolute COOLEST cob in Christendom. Someday soon I'll commission one from you!!
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast