Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquarium Fanciers?

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Aquarium Fanciers?

I have always been fascinated by aquariums. I used to keep two 55 and one 75 gallon aquarium with all kinds of assorted fish in community tanks. That was a long time ago and I have been pining away about getting a new hobby so I started hinting several months ago about returning to the hobby once we moved into the apartment.

The feedback I got from the family was mostly negative. Only a small tank if you do get one etc. I donít want the mess(?) We donít have the room and so on.
    Then on Dec 23rd my wife took me to Petsmart with the idea of buying my daughterís and MILís dogs some Christmas treats. She took me to the aquarium section and told me that she had placed a deposit on a tank.

I haven't kept a tank for 32 years since my new born daughter needed the aquarium room as a nursery room.
    I was overwhelmed at the new methods and technology going around today. Heck I used to fill a tank with water wait a couple of days and dump the fish in!!

Anyway my 65 gal 36"x 18" x 25" arrived today and is about to be placed in its designated area. The challenge begins. (As soon as my son gets here to help get the stand cabinet off the back of my truck.)

Kind of stoked about the size as it is larger than I thought my wife would want. However I wanted to go for the largest I could, given the space. Therefore a short 36" but tall 25" capacity of 65 gal is the best I could have hoped for. Once set up I will watch this more than the TV ...also down goes the reading time.

Pictures later.

Any other fish keepers around to help with advice. Just about as complicated as pipe smoking so far.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    I have always been fascinated by aquariums. I used to keep two 55 and one 75 gallon aquarium with all kinds of assorted fish in community tanks. That was a long time ago and I have been pining away about getting a new hobby so I started hinting several months ago about returning to the hobby once we moved into the apartment.

The feedback I got from the family was mostly negative. Only a small tank if you do get one etc. I donít want the mess(?) We donít have the room and so on.
    Then on Dec 23rd my wife took me to Petsmart with the idea of buying my daughterís and MILís dogs some Christmas treats. She took me to the aquarium section and told me that she had placed a deposit on a tank.

I haven't kept a tank for 32 years since my new born daughter needed the aquarium room as a nursery room.
    I was overwhelmed at the new methods and technology going around today. Heck I used to fill a tank with water wait a couple of days and dump the fish in!!

Anyway my 65 gal 36"x 18" x 25" arrived today and is about to be placed in its designated area. The challenge begins. (As soon as my son gets here to help get the stand cabinet off the back of my truck.)

Kind of stoked about the size as it is larger than I thought my wife would want. However I wanted to go for the largest I could, given the space. Therefore a short 36" but tall 25" capacity of 65 gal is the best I could have hoped for. Once set up I will watch this more than the TV ...also down goes the reading time.

Pictures later.

Any other fish keepers around to help with advice. Just about as complicated as pipe smoking so far.
    Watching fish in an aquarium is far more interesting than TV, Bill. There are no repeats or commercials!
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Pictures later.

Excellent Bill, Now tell your Son to get a move on as I want to see some Pics ASAP.

So tell us what type of fish your after, an all Species tank or a Community tank?

Like you I'm most interested in Aquariums you may have seen the post I made on another thread about getting a new Fish tank? this will be with me next Wednesday, can't wait fir it's arrival.

I know where your coming from about how much the hobby has changed in all these years, things are so much different now, when I originally kept fish it was undergavel filtration and now there's all different types of filters on offer, We used to stick gravel on the bottom of the tank but now there's so many substrates to choose from, learning all about it the past couple of months has been doing my heed in as we say here.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Plants, sand, canister filter, heater and thermometer but fish-less cycle to start following all the new space age technology. Supposed to take 4 - 8 weeks wearing my patience thin whilst doing so. Going for a community tank consisting of 15 Serpae Tetras that shoal, some cats 2 or 3 and algae eaters 2. Then after awhile if those guys work out healthy then I'd like to add a couple of Discus as the tank's main attraction. Depending on $ these may turn out to be angels.

A Serpae Tetra grows to about 1.5" and travel in packs. (like pipe smokers do)

Serpae.jpg

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Bill, you could ask PetSmart for some of their used filter medium to put in to your filter, that would speed up the fish-less cycle by half, I'm sure they would oblige after all you bought the tank from them?

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    Bill, you could ask PetSmart for some of their used filter medium to put in to your filter, that would speed up the fish-less cycle by half, I'm sure they would oblige after all you bought the tank from them?
    They offered to give some seed filter material to get the proper "bugs" growing but I don't think I want to buy my fish from a big box store. I'm scoping out some smaller pet shops who specialize. Think I'd rather bring their bacteria home. But of course I feel like a newbie so the research continues.

Real Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    ....or throw in a couple of feeder goldfish, after a week, which get the buggies a growing. Plus they can be made into Gefilte fish.
    I can resist anything but temptation.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Another good reason to keep a tank ....food source. Some people actually keep shrimp. I'll have to get some rings.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Another good reason to keep a tank ....food source. Some people actually keep shrimp. I'll have to get some rings.
    Howzabout keepin' some Louisiana craw dads to go along with the shrimps?
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbass View Post
    ....or throw in a couple of feeder goldfish, after a week, which get the buggies a growing. Plus they can be made into Gefilte fish.
    I remember years ago when I had set up a 6ft marine tank I was faced with this problem so I added a couple of pairs of Black Molly's, they live in brackish water but thrive in salt water, pretty soon there was about 80 fry in the tank, when the tank was finally seeded I quickly cured the fry and parent problem with adding a Lion Fish.

imagesjhgcfhx.jpg

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast