Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquarium Fanciers?

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

What fish are you going to keep Ally? lions and tigers and bears oh my!
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    What fish are you going to keep Ally? lions and tigers and bears oh my!
    I'm only going to keep Mbuna's Bill, they come from Lake Malawi, quite an aggressive fish but if I get the balance right it should be OK.

I don't want to have any more than 25 in the tank, they do breed heavily, and are mouth brooders (the female holds the eggs in her mouth until they hatch) but the fry shouldn't last long and any that do will be passed on to the local fish shop.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mb...7HAZUQ_AUIBygC
    Last edited by allyby; 12-27-2016 at 19:45.

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

We haven't kept a tank for years, ever since my daughter was a tyke and she's now 28. But I sure loved how magical and peaceful it was to stare into that light and watch those little guys. Just gorgeous. I want pix as soon as you canb get 'em, Bill!!!
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    I'm only going to keep Mbuna's Bill, they come from Lake Malawi, quite an aggressive fish but if I get the balance right it should be OK.
    I had a look at the pictures. These fish are quite colourful. Sounds like you are setting up a bit of a "war tank" with these "toughies."

Since I haven't been hanging around fish stores much in the past one thing I noticed recently is the lack of variety of fish available for purchase. Just a lot of missing species that I remember from the past are not available today it seems; such as arrowanas, puffers, hatchets and several others like green swords etc.

It does seem that most the kinds of fish I want will be able to be purchased. Is there a good variety available where you are?

One thing I did noticed, discus are the same price they were 30 years ago. And prices of other types are quite good but I still get the feeling that the tanks are bare of some fish I used to see in them. In addition the specialty stores have followed the same path as tobacconists. Not as many 'good' shops around that are independent.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

From what I've seen Bill there seems to be no big change in stocking but saying that there is a lot less shops now than there was when I kept fish last, the big trend just now seems to be in Marine fish, years ago I could walk in to a store and they would only have around six sale tanks, now it seems to have trebled that.

Online, next day delivery sales seems to be the trend as well, though I can't understand that myself as I like to see what I'm buying.

So have you got your cabinet upstairs and in place yet?

As for the war tank, things should be fine as long as I get the right male- female ratios right, They are randy little buggers so it's usually 1m-4f.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

The cabinet is now in place and I'm feeling antsy to get things started. The tank is a very tall 25" high and with the stand hits 4'7" total. The tank weighed much more than the stand cabinet. Wouldn't have been able to get this in if it wasn't for my lad's assistance.

In order to furnish it I need to get creative and come up with a tallish-type of centre decoration that makes use of the height. Time to think outside the box - which is difficult when I can't think inside the box either!

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Cool beans, looking forward to seeing it all set up. We had a few tanks a long time ago. Both saltwater, one small reef and one larger (75 gallon) predator tank. We had a Clown Trigger that was the star of the tank, he had quite the personality. Yes, fish can have personalities. He would go crazy when I brought feeder gold fish home and dumped them in the tank. I've often thought about setting up another now that I have lots of time on my hands. If I ever do it would probably be fresh water to keep the costs down. The marine tanks can get quite spendy.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

The cabinet is now in place and I'm feeling antsy to get things started. The tank is a very tall 25" high and with the stand hits 4'7" total. The tank weighed much more than the stand cabinet. Wouldn't have been able to get this in if it wasn't for my lad's assistance.

In order to furnish it I need to get creative and come up with a tallish-type of centre decoration that makes use of the height. Time to think outside the box - which is difficult when I can't think inside the box either!
    Any pics yet Bill?

Just got an email that my lighting system is being delivered tomorrow, it comes with three tubes but I've bought an extra three with a different colour to mix and match for the best results.
    Kit Contains:

3 Tube Controller,
    3 x 80W T5 Tubes
    3 X 80W Reflectors
    6 x Cable Clips

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

@ Billy knowing how well I take pics ....I'll try and get some progress shots along the way to completion.

Lighting has been a big learning curve that is not yet over. The only drawback of my tank kit is that it came with a strip fluorescent lamp which sits on top of the glass top. Doesn't seem to throw enough light to me(?).

3 Tube Controller,
    3 x 80W T5 Tubes
    3 X 80W Reflectors
    6 x Cable Clips
    Dunno what these are so I'll have more to look up now.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Dunno what these are so I'll have more to look up now.
    I'm getting the new three tube system, 80 watt tubes are 58 1/2" long.

Last edited by allyby; 12-28-2016 at 15:45.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast