Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquarium Fanciers?

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Interesting video ...Think I watched that guy do other product info-mercials. I did look up the specs here:

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpi.../lat5/pc1a.asp

Impressive amount of light and you can be quite flexible with the lights for an all day effect.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

So the light unit arrived today and I have six tubes with it, I need to find out which three tube combination works best for me, the colours to choose from are.

Purple
    Blue Plus
    Tropical
    Aqua Blue 50-50
    And two Marine White.

I'm thinking at the back of the tank going forward.

Purple
    Aqua 50-50
    Marine White.
    Last edited by allyby; 12-29-2016 at 17:22.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Purple
    Aqua 50-50
    Marine White.
    My only thought is the purple light at the front. It may show off more of the fishes' foreground colour. Trial and error.

What are you doing with the back and sides of the tank exterior? Here's where my tank sits, bare at the moment. But my first step is to figure out what to do with a tank background.

I ordered 80 lbs of Caribe Sea Sunset Gold sand, an Eheim heater and a thermometer. I already have the canister filter. I need to get creative now and design the kind of interior I want. I'm just about as interested in the plants as I am the fish.

Aquarium1AA.jpg

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    My only thought is the purple light at the front. It may show off more of the fishes' foreground colour. Trial and error.

What are you doing with the back and sides of the tank exterior? Here's where my tank sits, bare at the moment. But my first step is to figure out what to do with a tank background.

I ordered 80 lbs of Caribe Sea Sunset Gold sand, an Eheim heater and a thermometer. I already have the canister filter. I need to get creative now and design the kind of interior I want. I'm just about as interested in the plants as I am the fish.

Attachment 38964
    That's looking great Bill, have you had a look at the Sand Fall, plenty on youtube about them and not too difficult to do, just plastic tubing an airstone and small pump so it's not expensive at all, plenty ideas on aquascaping as well.

As for the back of my tank, the manufacturer said they would do a black background for me free of charge, whether on not they've done this due to the holiday's is another matter, if not I'll buy a vinyl black background, I'll find out in six day's.
    I'm just leaving the sides as they are.

Real Name
    Shaun
    Pipe smoker since
    About 9 years. Give or take a year or so

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

You've done a great job Bill and I can't wait to see more pictures once it's up and running. Sorry that I couldn't offer any advice but all I've got are 3 goldfish in a 20 litre tank (about 5 gallons). We've got a blue/grey whippet called smokey , 7 chooks, 2 blue budgies and 3 goldfish. At times it feels like Noah's ark. Just a guess made from my time on pipe smoking forums but I think most pipe smokers like animals in general.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunc View Post
    We've got a blue/grey whippet called smokey , 7 chooks, 2 blue budgies and 3 goldfish. At times it feels like Noah's ark. Just a guess made from my time on pipe smoking forums but I think most pipe smokers like animals in general.
    Ha I know what you mean Shaun. My wife has a friend who rescues greyhounds and whippets and gets them into a "pet" world environment. She has a houseful of them. Also I bet many of us would love to have an original real Australian budgie.

The waterfall is a very good central decoration. But I'm thinking the more fiddle stuff like this you have in the tank the more bother it will be if it stops running. I've been tossing the idea around and since I'm lacking in decorating abilities I'll take any advice. This would be nice to have in the tank though. A real attractive feature.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

This might give you ideas Bill!

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

OMG real artistry and loads of ideas. First off my observation is that I'm going to have to wait for the thaw to find some driftwood and interesting rocks. Still thinking of the waterfall too.

I found ONE, seems the only one that sells online aquarium plants in Canada. I think this is the best way to get what I need as we visited a couple of pet stores yesterday and they had the plants but had no idea what they were or how they grow. I need tall plants for the back and I don't care what the Latin name is!!

Real Name
    Shaun
    Pipe smoker since
    About 9 years. Give or take a year or so

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Ha I know what you mean Shaun. My wife has a friend who rescues greyhounds and whippets and gets them into a "pet" world environment. She has a houseful of them. Also I bet many of us would love to have an original real Australian budgie.

The waterfall is a very good central decoration. But I'm thinking the more fiddle stuff like this you have in the tank the more bother it will be if it stops running. I've been tossing the idea around and since I'm lacking in decorating abilities I'll take any advice. This would be nice to have in the tank though. A real attractive feature.

We had a greyhound for a while (black bitch 18 months) unfortunately we had to get rid of her as she was a chicken killer. She came to us through a friend of mine that trains and races greyhounds. She was broken in to the boxes but had no interest in chasing the lure, she'd only chase it for 10-20 metres and lose interest.
    When we first got her she had a few problems. She was terrified of stairs as she'd never seen any in her life before and she'd start barking at 4 or 4.30 in the morning but she learned to negotiate stairs in a week and she also learned that she wasn't in a racing kennel and no one was going to come out for her at 4 in the morning. On the plus side she'd walk on a lead beautifully. We gave her to some other people that had no small animals for her to attack and kill. My mate paid a lot of money for her as a pup. She was advertised for $3500 but my mate paid $2500 on the proviso that he bought the whole litter, 6 in total so he ended up paying $15000 and none of them were any good.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

Bill! did you get polystyrene to go underneath the tank?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast