Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark

For me,
    it was love at first puff!

I'm fishing for info here,
    if anybody knows any small details or whatever,
    I'd be very happy to hear about it.

I'm on my way to a deep cellar of the stuff and recently bought the last remaining stock at SmokingPipes --- I hope they get a fresh supply soon and I'm curious to see how long it takes.

As far as I know, there are only 3 online US vendors who carry it,
    SmokingPipes, 4Noggins, and Iwan Ries ---- any others out there?

It makes me very paranoid to see stuff like this:
    https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/produ...obacco-50g-tin

...and I fear it may disappear like Bracken Flake did.

As far as I know, this baccy came out in late 2014 and it was perhaps made especially for the Italian market?
    It seems like Italy was the first to get it.
    While researching I discovered the nickname for Brown Twist No.4 is “lo stronzo di cane” which is pretty funny!

In Italy it is available in the 250g bulk boxes:

In Russia,
    it is sold in many different pouch sizes,
    like this 100g version:

Any other info or opinion most welcome!

Thanks.
    Last edited by misterlowercase; 02-05-2017 at 16:36.

Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Can't help much (even though I live nearby). Some TR reviewers claim it's 1792 without Tonquin - but they can't even agree whether or not it contains Burley or Kentucky! (Perhaps neither as you can fire cure Virginia just as you can Kentucky and SG used much less Burley than GH&Co.). Certainly "Empire" tobaccos rather than US.

I did wonder whether it resulted from the merger with GH&Co. as a SG version of their Dark Flake (which I can't hack with the cigar like backtaste)?

I regret the passing of Bracken Flake but this provides no substitute for me.
    Last edited by jimbo44; 02-05-2017 at 17:32.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

PS: ...the Italian market though prompts the thought of Toscano cigars made with Kentucky tobacco.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Thanks Jim!

Good point about the Toscano --- there are numerous references to those on the Italian forums when discussing SGLD.

The Kentucky does indeed come through, but not in an overly aggro manner, there can be at times a subtle spiciness (snorking may amplify that trait as well), but otherwise it is smooth, creamy, and dark --- flavor notes of wet earth, chocolate, liquorice, caramel, brisket bark, and vanilla --- at times reminding me along the lines of a subdued Revor taste.

I agree with you about Hoggarth's Dark Flake, I have more experience with the Plug, but it does indeed have an intense cigar flavor --- however, I do enjoy it when I'm in the mood and it makes me salivate!

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I forgot a couple of flavor notes --- dark roast coffee and leatherbound library.

Although all those flavors have an ebb and flow throughout the smoke, it retains a universal whole overall and as such I'd describe it as having a "complex monochromaticity" in that it is both a sophisticate and a savage at the same time in a weird wonderful way.

That settles it. I'm getting some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark

That's interesting, like I said in the other thread I saw an old review from 2002 and one from 2005 of Lakeland Dark but from the description it sounded like they were describing an entirely different blend.

This thread is talking about it having a Lakeland essence in it as well... again, sounds almost like a different blend and this thread dates back 4 years. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topi...-lakeland-dark
    I really thought it just came out in 2015 or so.
    Anyway, this is indeed a damn fine tobacco I promise to let you buy up all your stock for the cellar before I start adding some to mine, I have so many that I need to stock before hand regardless, although the recent lack of available blends from Gawith does make me nervous too.

What is "snorking"? I saw DK using that term for this tobacco as well and I assume it just means retrohaling?
    Last edited by Hawky454; 02-06-2017 at 00:29.

I've only had one tin, but I've been thinking of ordering more. I love the earthy, leathery taste. I was expecting something more robust like black rope, but I wouldn't say I was disappointed at all.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

@Billy --- I'll send you along some so you can gauge it and see if it fits your preferences, I'm off this week and got a few things to mail out anyways.

@Hawky --- same here, sounded like different blends being described, that's the thing about TR where it is lacking in editorship and a few "moderators" or editors or something similar to how Wikipedia does things would clean it up and help alleviate some of the confusion --- for example, one of my pet peeves is that Velvan Plug is listed under P.J. Carroll, and beyond that there is quite a bit of misinformation.
    Snorking is retrohaling yes. I just like the word snork!

@ Pitchfork --- I didn't really know what to expect but regardless SGLD exceeded all my expectations --- I only regret being late to the game on this one, I have become more hard-headed and codgerly, reluctant to try new stuff because it often ends in disappointment as I have a fairly narrow range of stuff that I truly deeply love and appreciate --- I sorta wish that I had a more expansive palate but I just don't and I'm not going to force myself, but I'm tremendously happy when I find something like this godhead baccy which has me thunderstruck.

Many thanks Troy. That would be very good of you indeed. And I know what you mean about the hardheaded codger stuff. There are only seven or eight blends that I truly love and I kind of just don't care about any of the others very much. But when something new comes on the scene that leaps into the top few slots, Well it's a thrill. If this Lakeland dark is an improvement on the GH Dark flake I'll be jazzed. I like that stuff but I'm having a real problem keeping it at the right humidity and it's not burning well for me. This could be a fabulous substitute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast