Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    Ah that would be awesome if they started carrying RB and Cannon Plug. I wish they would carry GH&Co's Westmorland Slices too, Simon got me hooked on that stuff.

I'll have to go and request these too! Good idear.
    Westmorland slices hit the spot then eh? Thought they would hawky my boy. I thought they would. Surprised cannon plugs being sought after. I actually had to throw mine away! (Before I had pipe smoking friends) that plug is a perfume grenade! Too much, far too much, well for me anyway. FWIW, I asked rich at 4noggins once about a brand they didn't stock. He replied almost immediately & got it for me. Hawky, you have tried bosun cut plug haven't you? I only mention it because your tastes seem similar to mine, & you can get that at 4noggins. Bulk!
    Best regards, Simon.

Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Westmorland slices hit the spot then eh? Thought they would hawky my boy. I thought they would. Surprised cannon plugs being sought after. I actually had to throw mine away! (Before I had pipe smoking friends) that plug is a perfume grenade! Too much, far too much, well for me anyway. FWIW, I asked rich at 4noggins once about a brand they didn't stock. He replied almost immediately & got it for me. Hawky, you have tried bosun cut plug haven't you? I only mention it because your tastes seem similar to mine, & you can get that at 4noggins. Bulk!
    Best regards, Simon.
    Yessir, I fell in love with the Westmorland Slices, it's like a very lightly scented version of Lakeland Dark but I give the nod to WS. I'll have to see if they can acquire that at 4Noggins.
    Yes, we do have similar tastes for sure and I do love me some Bosun Cut Plug. I think I'll have to smoke some of that tonight when I get home from work.
    How do you like RB Plug, Simon? I find that it can be quite temperamental but if given the right conditions it can smoke like a dream. I found a pipe it smokes wonderfully in but it only smokes well for me in that one pipe... it's strange.
    Last edited by Hawky454; 03-30-2017 at 23:45.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Yessir, I fell in love with the Westmorland Slices, it's like a very lightly scented version of Lakeland Dark but I give the nod to WS. I'll have to see if they can acquire that at 4Noggins.
    Yes, we do have similar tastes for sure and I do love me some Bosun Cut Plug. I think I'll have to smoke some of that tonight when I get home from work.
    How do you like RB Plug, Simon? I find that it can be quite temperamental but if given the right conditions it can smoke like a dream. I found a pipe it smokes wonderfully in but it only smokes well for me in that one pipe... it's strange.
    How do I like RB? In a word, mellow. Well, two words actually, mellow & marvellous! I love it, definately a plug for the cooler months though, with that gingerbread topping. I believe I'm right in thinking it's one of their oldest products. MLC would know for sure. Maybe it's not performing for you as well as it should, due to the pipes you smoke? Even though I have a few large bents, pots etc. All of my plugs & most flakes get smoked in my smaller pipes. Billiards, Zulus,cuttys & stacks. In between group 2-3, no bigger. Pipesmoking is so very personal, I don't believe there's a right or wrong size for plugs, but for me they 'sing' in my smaller pipes. Give it a go hawky in your smaller pipes. Simon.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    How do I like RB? In a word, mellow. Well, two words actually, mellow & marvellous! I love it, definately a plug for the cooler months though, with that gingerbread topping. I believe I'm right in thinking it's one of their oldest products. MLC would know for sure. Maybe it's not performing for you as well as it should, due to the pipes you smoke? Even though I have a few large bents, pots etc. All of my plugs & most flakes get smoked in my smaller pipes. Billiards, Zulus,cuttys & stacks. In between group 2-3, no bigger. Pipesmoking is so very personal, I don't believe there's a right or wrong size for plugs, but for me they 'sing' in my smaller pipes. Give it a go hawky in your smaller pipes. Simon.
    RB remains a mystery to me Simon!
    I'm afraid that I just don't know, although I do have a good number of old price lists, these were not always comprehensive and the only way to really know is to find price lists from the makers themselves, I was astounded when I came across a mid 30's Player's list that featured a slew of baccies that I had never seen nor heard of before and stuff that was never listed in the trade journals --- a good friend recently gifted me a 1934 list book of Rhodesian tobacco that features brand names and makers who used that tobacco and it includes both Gawith houses with blends I've never heard of before...

...for the longest time i thought that RB was SG's version of RedBreast simply because the old design art featured a bird!
    LOL

All I know is that I love the stuff and I think it's one of the more unique tobaccos on the market.

An interesting footnote,
    Re: date coding ---

SmokingPipes blog, via reddit, posted a key to unlock the code!
    Good stuff!

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smoking...awith-tobaccos

Now I know that a majority of my LLD stock was made on April 15th 2016.

Cool!

Last edited by misterlowercase; 07-23-2017 at 18:51.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by misterlowercase View Post
    RB remains a mystery to me Simon!
    I'm afraid that I just don't know, although I do have a good number of old price lists, these were not always comprehensive and the only way to really know is to find price lists from the makers themselves, I was astounded when I came across a mid 30's Player's list that featured a slew of baccies that I had never seen nor heard of before and stuff that was never listed in the trade journals --- a good friend recently gifted me a 1934 list book of Rhodesian tobacco that features brand names and makers who used that tobacco and it includes both Gawith houses with blends I've never heard of before...

...for the longest time i thought that RB was SG's version of RedBreast simply because the old design art featured a bird!
    LOL

All I know is that I love the stuff and I think it's one of the more unique tobaccos on the market.

An interesting footnote,
    Re: date coding ---

SmokingPipes blog, via reddit, posted a key to unlock the code!
    Good stuff!

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smoking...awith-tobaccos

Now I know that a majority of my LLD stock was made on April 15th 2016.

Cool!

Oh dude! That is so freaking awesome! Thanks for the link! It's a date after all! Good on them!

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark

There is no easy way to decode these numbers is there? I'll have to sit down with each tin, a pen and a pad of paper and a calculator. It's a pretty ridiculous coding system but hey, it's better than nothing!

There is no easy way to decode these numbers is there? I'll have to sit down with each tin, a pen and a pad of paper and a calculator. It's a pretty ridiculous coding system but hey, it's better than nothing!
    Yeah, I suck at math and had a hard time too, I had to sit down and write out a short-hand cheat sheet,
    something like this:

jan 230
    feb 231
    mar 232
    apr 233
    may 234
    june 235
    july 236
    aug 237
    sep 238
    oct 239
    nov 240
    dec 241

jan 242
    feb 243
    mar 244
    apr 245
    may 246
    june 247
    july 248
    aug 249
    sep 250
    oct 251
    nov 252
    dec 253

jan 254
    feb 255
    mar 256
    apr 257
    may 258
    june 259
    july 260

Quote Originally Posted by misterlowercase View Post
    Yeah, I suck at math and had a hard time too, I had to sit down and write out a short-hand cheat sheet,
    something like this:

jan 230
    feb 231
    mar 232
    apr 233
    may 234
    june 235
    july 236
    aug 237
    sep 238
    oct 239
    nov 240
    dec 241

jan 242
    feb 243
    mar 244
    apr 245
    may 246
    june 247
    july 248
    aug 249
    sep 250
    oct 251
    nov 252
    dec 253

jan 254
    feb 255
    mar 256
    apr 257
    may 258
    june 259
    july 260
    Well hell, that's quite helpful. Thanks for doing the legwork!

Since I brought it up a little earlier, here, I had forgot that I had posted a few pages from that 30's Player's price list,
    here:
    http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showt...r-s-Price-List

I'd love to see a Samuel Gawith price list from the same period!
    I know that the Kendal Record Office has one from circa 1900 which would be cool to see --- I've contemplated trying to write to them and query if a photocopy could be made for a small fee,
    dammit, maybe I'll try that today as I've had it in mind for a while but have never got round to it and it never hurts asking!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123