Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stanwell Selected Briar

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Stanwell Selected Briar

We'll start here.

I found this Selected Briar 10. It's actually the second one I've come across. The first one I found, I didn't buy it because I thought the stem was damaged. The stem was bent a little to the right, I didn't own a heat gun at the time an I really didn't know much about the pipe. I left it. Then, I was at an estate sale last month and I found the one here in the photos. Guess what... the stem is bent to the right. My question is, were these stems made bent as a sort of comfort option? Did I find two odd pipes? Maybe this is the same pipe I left behind months ago? I picked this one up about 150 miles away from the other. I'm very confused.
    This is the next pipe I will restore. It's going to take me a bit but I will post photos to this thread when it's prettied up. I just need to know about that stem. Should I hit it with a heat gun to straighten it out or just refurb the pipe and leave the stem alone?
    0207171942-1.jpg

0207171933~2.jpg

0207171944-1.jpg

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

It does look a little bent in the Photo but, if ya look where the stem meets the shank it looks a little off center, so it could be the stem is just not on straight and the photo makes it look bent.
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/

Real Name
    Dave

Nice old Sixten Ivarsson shape.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice pipe, Peter. The stem definitely shouldn't have a sideways cant. Hit it with that heat gun and see if it straightens out.
    Follow me and watch calamity ensue: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

A Sixten shape? I sold two Stanwell pick axe shapes not to long ago. One actually was lost in the mail around x mass time. That broke my heart. I think I also have a Danish Sovereign shape by him floating around somewhere. I can't wait to start on this one. I think the Bull Moose is correct about the issue being in the stem fitting. I'm going to spend some time with this one to study the problem and correct it proper. A mortise manipulation or heat gun might be in order here. We'll see. The shape is interesting. Grain is nice too. I'm wondering if this is the same pipe I found a year ago and left behind. Or if this shape has some kind of flaw in it in which clinching it over time makes the stem move. I'm over thinking it already. Anyhow, thanx gents! I'll get back on this one.

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffie666 View Post
    A Sixten shape? I sold two Stanwell pick axe shapes net to long ago. One actually was lost in the mail around x mass time. That broke my heart. I think I also have a Danish Sovereign shape by him floating around somewhere. I can't wait to start on this one. I think the Bull Moose is correct about the issue being in the stem fitting. I'm going to spend some time with this one to study the problem and correct it proper. A mortise manipulation or heat gun might be in order here. We'll see. The shape is interesting. Grain is nice too. I'm wondering if this is the same pipe I found a year ago and left behind. Or if this shape has some kind of flaw in it in which clinching it over time makes the stem move. I'm over thinking it already. Anyhow, thanx gents! I'll get back on this one.
    Bull Moose? suspect.gif

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

One Flew Over The Chuckoo's Nest. Randel Patrick McMurphy was Jack Nicholson's character in the movie. He was the bull moose. It's one of the greatest movies ever made imo. I thought that was what your name was a reference to. If not, you have the coolest initials ever.

Real Name
    Dave

I sold two Stanwell pick axe shapes not to long ago.
    Peter, any pictures of those? Inquiring minds...

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

Quote Originally Posted by fluffie666 View Post
    One Flew Over The Chuckoo's Nest. Randel Patrick McMurphy was Jack Nicholson's character in the movie. He was the bull moose. It's one of the greatest movies ever made imo. I thought that was what your name was a reference to. If not, you have the coolest initials ever.
    Oh! Okay! Not many make the connection but, yes. The movie is my all time favorite by Jack and that's just one of the reasons I picked the name, that and I live in the land of "Murphy's Law" and, my 1st and last initials are also R.P.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RP McMurphy View Post
    Oh! Okay! Not many make the connection but, yes. The movie is my all time favorite by Jack and that's just one of the reasons I picked the name, that and I live in the land of "Murphy's Law" and, my 1st and last initials are also R.P.
    Brilliant flick. The book is terrific too. "America is the peach..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast