Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple bowls

Real Name
    Shaun
    Pipe smoker since
    About 9 years. Give or take a year or so

12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Multiple bowls

I've been smoking a falcon non stop since Friday morning and it's now Sunday morning. I don't have a question it's more of a statement.
    I believe that these pipes are on par with a cob for standing up to multiple bowls/day, non stop smoking, day after day. At the moment I'm sitting in the pump house at the sewerage treatment plant and wondering if in days gone by the old one pipe, one tobacco smokers that we've all heard about were predominantly falcon men. Looking forward to your views and/or observations if any of you are old enough to remember.
    Have a great day fellas.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Mate, the old boys years ago were old school. I don't think Falcons 'hit' England till the 60s. My late grandad, & my father come to that, had no more than 6 pipes between them! Couple of nice pipes & a couple of work pipes. I guess if they were having a good day at work, they'd let the pipe cool down, between smokes. I also know for a fact, if they were having a shit day, they wouldn't.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Shaun, I'm a big believer in Falcons, and I myself have run 4 or 5 bowls through one in a day. The design allows very little of the moisture to remain in contact with the briar, and cleaning it out of the metal stem is a breeze. I have a couple of stems and about 5 bowls that are my workhorses, and there are days when I wonder why I have anything else.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I've got two falcons one straight,one bent and two bowls which I swap over. My preference is for the bent with Dublin rustic bowl which is the combination I smoke most. A few weeks ago I was messaging my old hillwalking mates son and asked him if he kept his dad's pipes after he passed away 9 years ago and he said he still has them and will gladly give me the lot on my next visit back to the UK. They'll be a few Falcons plus an Alco or two and a mixture of bowls...he had some coloured bowls if I remember correctly so they'd be nice to have if he still has them. I suspect they'll all be in some state as Alex like me wasn't very meticulous in looking after his pipes. That won't bother me to be honest as they'll bring back a lot of happy memories we used to have at weekends smoking beside the camp fire.

As for my old pipe smoking mate and work colleagues who used Falcons. Most were as you described one pipe one blend men.
    Last edited by Scottishgaucho; 03-23-2017 at 21:01.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    I've got two falcons one straight,one bent and two bowls which I swap over. My preference is for the bent with Dublin rustic bowl which is the combination I smoke most. A few weeks ago I was messaging my old hillwalking mates son and asked him if he kept his dad's pipes after he passed away 9 years ago and he said he still has them and will gladly give me the lot on my next visit back to the UK. They'll be a few Falcons plus an Alco or two and a mixture of bowls...he had some coloured bowls if I remember correctly so they'd be nice to have if he still has them. I suspect they'll all be in some state as Alex like me wasn't very meticulous in looking after his pipes. That won't bother me to be honest as they'll bring back a lot of happy memories we used to have at weekends smoking beside the camp fire.

As for my old pipe smoking mate and work colleagues who used Falcons. Most were as you described one pipe one blend men.
    Lovely to hear things like this. I'm sure your old mates pipes will smoke great for you.
    I really must dig out my only falcon, must be 2-3 years since I last smoked it. It's got a meer lined bowl, so no worries with all this wind were having.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Pipe smoker since
    Nineteen Hundred Eighty and Seven

I smoke 8-12 bowls a day everyday, one pipe, day in day out sometimes for years...

Can't beat a Pete.
    Jeff
    __--____
    "what ever turns you on Cup Cake…."

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Jesla View Post
    I smoke 8-12 bowls a day everyday, one pipe, day in day out sometimes for years...

Can't beat a Pete.
    Two petes can!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Lovely to hear things like this. I'm sure your old mates pipes will smoke great for you.
    I really must dig out my only falcon, must be 2-3 years since I last smoked it. It's got a meer lined bowl, so no worries with all this wind were having.
    Really looking forward to getting them just for old times sake, the grubbier they are the better. Not too fussed about the Peterson standard he had. Compared to the one I own it had hell of a big bowl. I noticed he only brought that out when he was offered a fill of my baccy.

I want to see a picture of your Falcon instead of all those fancy briars you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesla View Post

Can't beat a Pete.
    I have a job smoking one bowl a day in my Pete never mind twelve. I suspect I was sold a dud as I can't believe the draw is normally so poor in them or they wouldn't be so popular.

Real Name
    Shaun
    Pipe smoker since
    About 9 years. Give or take a year or so

It's great hearing that I'm not the only bloke that attacks pipe smoking in such a manner. I'm definitely a pipe smoker and not a pipe rester.
    Still smoking the same falcon from yesterday with macbarens old dark fired. I might be a one pipe man but I'm not a one tobacco man.
    Enjoy your mates pipes Scottishgaocho.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunc View Post
    Enjoy your mates pipes Scottishgaocho.
    Thanks Shaun although it looks as if a trip back to the mother country won't be taking place this year. He did offer to post them to me but I told him that was far too risky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast