Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me Find Good Aromatics

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Help me Find Good Aromatics

After the great success of adding the dried out JBR-era St. Bruno to LakeLand Dark and being astounded at how receptively the LLD took the flavor in, providing a neutral backbone and letting the St. Bruno dominate, well now I'm gonna hafta experiment with different flavored baccies inna parfait fashion just because it was so damn good --- I mean don't get me wrong, I love LLD as it is, but being able to "enhance" it when I'm in the mood is also very appealing.

It's quite dire because now St. Bruno ain't got the good sauce, and even Condor has gone sourly south (or more accurately: it's seemingly gone to Eastern Europe and they've messed the sauce up, tastes of suntan lotion to me now!), so my pickins are slim as the world disappears before me.

I'm totally at a loss for finding a good-to-me aro, so any pointers would be a great help.

I'm mostly looking for non-chemotoxic dark fruit flavors, but stuff like vanilla or chocolate aren't out of the question either, or any perhaps unique and unidentifiable flavors that may be floating around.

This will be interesting to say the least.

Doing a bit of research on the numerous aros out there, it is exhausting and I get dizzy-headed!

I did find this review when looking at the Sillem's offerings,
    and it cracked me up!
    =D

Linea Epoque Antique is a slightly macaroonic way of saying "Old Time Line". Old time what? Old-time tobacco-blenders' fog. Mirabelle is just French for a plum.

So what we have here is a whole lot of Dutch Cavendish-processed leaf, cased with plum/vanilla/coffee goop, and negligible amounts of yellow Virginia and a bit of Burley so that the whole thing does not quite wind up in the "hot air" category. It's exactly like 277 other German/Danish blends fed into handsome tins for women to buy on Father's Day. I can't think of any reason why I would seek this out a second time.

The first aro in my quiver is Vauen Earl Grey, which sounds promising,
    but no reviews as of yet...
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/...l-grey-flavour

Due to the stupidly asinine new EU regs regarding flavor branding, they had to rename it as "Oxford Blend".

Anyway,
    any suggestions for good aromatics would be most welcome!
    Thanks.

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Have you considered Sam Gawith's Grousemoor? The cut is obviously rather different to your LLD, but I could see a mix of the two serving your purposes. I also enjoy McClelland's Fragrant Matured Cake (I smoked some earlier today). That might also be a good match for LLD. Now you have me thinking about blending...

Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

GH&Co Grasmere might be easier to get:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/...grasmere-flake

(BTW: Glynn Quelch used it in his alternative to Condor Plug).
    Last edited by jimbo44; 03-22-2017 at 16:33.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks gents!

Both excellent suggestions and both of which I've yet to try.

In the case of Grouse-Moor it was me being unsure of the supposed lemongrass flavor as well as it being reputed to be of mild-med strength which usually puts me off, but the potential of using LLD as the neutral backbone for carrying different flavor profiles really excites me and opens new doors like I can have the best of both worlds --- it's almost like a philosophers stone in that sense, a magic amulet or something, an inviting elixir --- that is, if the LLD takes to other profiles as well as it has with the old dry Bruno, it may just be a magic matching or something, but it's worked so well that it's made me want to experiment and explore, and it's all very exciting.

I think I'll add one of both to the next order!

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by misterlowercase View Post
    Thanks gents!

Both excellent suggestions and both of which I've yet to try.

In the case of Grouse-Moor it was me being unsure of the supposed lemongrass flavor as well as it being reputed to be of mild-med strength which usually puts me off, but the potential of using LLD as the neutral backbone for carrying different flavor profiles really excites me and opens new doors like I can have the best of both worlds --- it's almost like a philosophers stone in that sense, a magic amulet or something, an inviting elixir --- that is, if the LLD takes to other profiles as well as it has with the old dry Bruno, it may just be a magic matching or something, but it's worked so well that it's made me want to experiment and explore, and it's all very exciting.

I think I'll add one of both to the next order!
    Happy to help. Regarding the lemongrass, I like the flavor a lot. If you want a lot of nicotine, though, you will need the LLD for that. I usually smoke Grousemoor on very hot days when a heavy nicotine wallop is not what I want.

I have been struggling to think of appropriate dark fruit aromatics, but I keep drawing a blank. Rattray's Wallace Flake might work, but the flavor is pretty light and sweet. I imagine you wanting something deeply plummy.

Pipe smoker since
    February 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Buroak View Post
    I have been struggling to think of appropriate dark fruit aromatics, but I keep drawing a blank. Rattray's Wallace Flake might work, but the flavor is pretty light and sweet. I imagine you wanting something deeply plummy.
    Mmmmm....Wallace Flake is real tasty!😋

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Livin' the pipe dream....

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The problem I have with smoking blends all day, everyday is I tend to see them in a different light and get bored of them and/or get sick of their taste profile. Do you think that some of the problem could be related to just over doing it with Condor? I'm relatively new to Condor so the stuff that's on the market now is the stuff I fell in love with, I have no other reference point. I taste a beautifully floral tobacco that's rich with citrus notes synergistically working with the darker notes to bring a truly unique smoking experience. I think I would really tire of it if I smoked it all day, every day which is why I like to keep it as a treat as opposed to an all day smoke. For my all day smokes I need something like Bayou Morning that's just pure tobacco flavor as it's something I'll never burn out on.

I love Dan Tobacco aromatics! Have you looked through their offerings, ya might get some good ideas there.

Gonna have to experiment with Lakeland Dark now! Thanks for the inspiration! I still think you really need to get your hands on some Westmorland Slices, I think you would love it! I wish I had more or I would send you some but I went through my stash real quick.
    Last edited by Hawky454; 03-22-2017 at 21:35.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

@Buroak and Catman
    indeed Wallace is super tasty, I enjoy it as it is and it satisfies greatly, I prefer it over Uni flake --- maybe I will try mixing a bit, I'm not in too big a rush though because the magicmix with the old dry St. Bruno is rockin' my world and filling a lost gap since I've only got a few bowls left of my Imperial-branded stash.

@Hawky
    whatever works for you is the right way to go, no bones about it --- and I also suffer a "taste loss" when I over-indulge (as is often the case with me!) with one baccy, like lately I've been smoking so much LLD that some of the more subtle flavors get lost on me after my 3rd bowl of the day, although I usually don't realize how profound of a "taste loss" it was until I smoke some Velvan then follow it up with the LLD --- I very much like the alternating same-time piping you've spoken about and such a technique really does keep the palate "fresh and alert"...

...my daily routine these last few days (besides the St. Bruno mania) is alternating bowls of Velvan and LLD and that helps me keep the contrast there enough against becoming "taste blind" as they offset each other in a most excellent way, for me at least.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by misterlowercase View Post
    @Buroak and Catman
    indeed Wallace is super tasty, I enjoy it as it is and it satisfies greatly, I prefer it over Uni flake --- maybe I will try mixing a bit, I'm not in too big a rush though because the magicmix with the old dry St. Bruno is rockin' my world and filling a lost gap since I've only got a few bowls left of my Imperial-branded stash.

@Hawky
    whatever works for you is the right way to go, no bones about it --- and I also suffer a "taste loss" when I over-indulge (as is often the case with me!) with one baccy, like lately I've been smoking so much LLD that some of the more subtle flavors get lost on me after my 3rd bowl of the day, although I usually don't realize how profound of a "taste loss" it was until I smoke some Velvan then follow it up with the LLD --- I very much like the alternating same-time piping you've spoken about and such a technique really does keep the palate "fresh and alert"...

...my daily routine these last few days (besides the St. Bruno mania) is alternating bowls of Velvan and LLD and that helps me keep the contrast there enough against becoming "taste blind" as they offset each other in a most excellent way, for me at least.
    Lol. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying that method. Now that I've been doing it so long I don't think I could ever go back to smoking one pipe at a time, haha. Even when I walk my dog I have two pipes with me, it can be a bit tricky though.

Have you tried Glenn Piper? I haven't tried that one yet but i hear a lot of great things about it. I keep meaning to pop open a tin of it but I end up popping something else instead. Lately I've really been on an Erinmore and Stonehaven kick.

That Earl Grey blend by Vauen sounds pretty good man but it doesn't appear to be available here. They have some interesting blends in their line up... anyone here try the Bkack Pepper?
    Last edited by Hawky454; 03-23-2017 at 00:41.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast