Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plum Pudding 2012

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Plum Pudding 2012

When I first started smoking a pipe several years ago I really fell in love with Plum Pudding, I bought a large stock of it to cellar and just now opened my last 8 oz tin from 2012. I am absolutely convinced that this tin of Plum Pudding is not Plum Pudding but rather Mississippi River. The problem is, I hate MR cause it tastes like absolutely nothing to me! It smells like deeply fermented VA's but I don't pick up a whiff of Latakia in it. 5 years isn't enough time to make the Lat fade that much... like I said, it smells like MR and I know MR has a small amount of Lat but it's negligible.
    I'm looking for some brave souls to try and help me identify this tobacco. The only thing I ask of you is that you have experience with both Mississippi River and Plum Pudding and that you live in the States. Just PM me your address and I'll get some samples of it out in the mail.

Here's some pictures.

Last edited by Hawky454; 03-25-2017 at 17:00.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Okay, well... anyone want some free baccy?

Yep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Sorry, Dave, I have no experience with either of those tobaccos. Is that blended by McClelland? The tobacco has a familiar look, though I don't think I've ever seen a krumble kake of theirs.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Quote Originally Posted by HCraven View Post
    Sorry, Dave, I have no experience with either of those tobaccos. Is that blended by McClelland? The tobacco has a familiar look, though I don't think I've ever seen a krumble kake of theirs.
    No, it's actually made by Pipes & Cigar. It does have that ketchup-like tin note of some very well aged Virginia's like McClelland though.

If you would like to try some I'll be happy to send a nice chunk your way. Just PM you're address cause I don't think I have it anymore.

I'm gonna post a similar thread in another forum cause I want to see what people that have experience with both think of it. It's very disappointing for me cause I was expecting Plum Pudding but the Mississippi River fans would be ecstatic because 2012 was before the blend took a turn for the worse.

Real Name
    Dave

OK Dave, I'd like to try it, PM sent. I like both Plum Pudding, and Mississippi River!

Awesome! I'll have your sample out tomorrow. Thanks for participating!

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    No, it's actually made by Pipes & Cigar. It does have that ketchup-like tin note of some very well aged Virginia's like McClelland though.

If you would like to try some I'll be happy to send a nice chunk your way. Just PM you're address cause I don't think I have it anymore.

I'm gonna post a similar thread in another forum cause I want to see what people that have experience with both think of it. It's very disappointing for me cause I was expecting Plum Pudding but the Mississippi River fans would be ecstatic because 2012 was before the blend took a turn for the worse.
    Well, I could certainly give it a spin, whichever of the two it turms out to be. I've heard good things about both. PM incoming.
    Herb

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

I received Dave's sample today (and a generous sample it is, indeed), so I'm preparing to smoke some now. As I said, I have no experience with either Plum Pudding or Mississippi River, but I'll do my best to describe the tobacco as I encounter it. At the moment, it is drying before smoking.

It comes in a dense and intensely oily krumble kake form. The kake is in the form of rectangular bars about 1/2" x 5/8" x unknown length. They remind me of what Captain Earle's krumble kakes used to look like during the Hermit era. The aroma in the pouch is decidedly tangy and smokey, although Latakia does not immediately jump out at me. It is reminiscent of Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake, although there is a bit more spice in the nose of the HH blend.

I thought it would take quite a while to dry, but a pinch test reveals that the tobacco is already not sticking together despite the oily appearance, so I believe I will load up a Comoy's Rhodesian and give it a good smoke. More to come.
    Herb

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Still smoking this, maybe halfway through the bowl. Started out kind of flat, but is developing more flavor down the bowl. Not too much spice to be found here, but certainly pleasant enough. Could be a good companion throughout the day.
    Herb

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast