Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GQ Tobacco Resurrection ... Kinda ...

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Absolutely, Ally! I wonder what his "new chapter" will be? Hopefully it will in some way involve pipe tobacco blending.
    I would imagine it would Chris, this is his passion.

So with Sam taking over the reigns does this mean GQ Pipes will still be trading?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post

So with Sam taking over the reigns does this mean GQ Pipes will still be trading?
    Just got a 'round robin' e-mail from Glynn. Looks like it might, Ally, but without Glynn as the titular leader - this space needs careful watching!
    Last edited by plugugly; 04-06-2017 at 10:37.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Just got a 'round robin' e-mail from Glynn. Looks like it might, Ally, but without Glynn as the titular leader - this space needs careful watching!
    I missed that one Chris, my emails for the last week are nil, bloody things not working so I'll have to get Sonia to set me up another account.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Here it is, Ally. Carefully worded:

TA New Dawn

When i started GQ Tobaccos 3 years ago, i never expected legislation to go the way it did. I built GQ Tobaccos to offer the Traditional Tobacconist experience online. From custom hand mixed blends, to small batch productions from some of the worlds finest blenders. With a desire to not become another store which carries the regular tobaccos everyone else does. Sadly the changes in the rules have left us unable to offer those products. So I called it day and i feared GQ would sit in a dry dock, rotting away never to see the seas again....until.....

Thankfully someone has stepped up to take my place as Captain of GQ Tobaccos. My original crew may now be land locked and working towards their own goals and dreams. But GQ Tobaccos will sail again and while i have turned down offers, the new owners share my passion and enthusiasm for our heavily restricted industry/hobby.

The website currently can not accept orders while the change over takes effect, although by tomorrow it should be back up and running with the new team. It might take a few days for Sam to get upto speed with how the systems work, but hopefully its a smooth transition.

I would like to thank every single one of you who went from being names on a order screen, to being friends I still share my passion with through social media and in person at club meetings/shows. Starting GQ was the scariest thing I have ever done, made becoming a Dad seem like a walk in the park (which we do frequently).

I hope you all give the new GQ Tobaccos a chance and i am pleased to see someone younger than me (although i still feel the like the new kid in the trade after all this time) who has as much enthusiasm, passion and a love for his customers.

I will ensure Sam sends out an email to introduce himself in the coming, but for me this is the last good bye. I will miss serving you all and being a part of an industry which will never go willingly into the history books. The love and friendship shared between the fellow BOTL/SOTL* is something we should all be proud of. (*Brother/Sister of the Leaf)

Any queries regarding orders placed before 6th April 2017 should be directed towards myself ([email protected])

Thank you again and may your pipes never run empty or sour!

Glynn Quelch

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    Glynn applied for a job in the Social Care field but hasn't heard about a start date.

This new set-up is an established tobacconist with B&M shops but no internet presence; it will sell the pipes that Glynn used to sell and regular tobacco's but not GQ blends (unless they are willing to buy the recipes from him and then license them at the great expense that Glynn couldn't afford).
    Oh dear, such a shame.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Here it is, Ally. Carefully worded:

TA New Dawn

When i started GQ Tobaccos 3 years ago, i never expected legislation to go the way it did. I built GQ Tobaccos to offer the Traditional Tobacconist experience online. From custom hand mixed blends, to small batch productions from some of the worlds finest blenders. With a desire to not become another store which carries the regular tobaccos everyone else does. Sadly the changes in the rules have left us unable to offer those products. So I called it day and i feared GQ would sit in a dry dock, rotting away never to see the seas again....until.....

Thankfully someone has stepped up to take my place as Captain of GQ Tobaccos. My original crew may now be land locked and working towards their own goals and dreams. But GQ Tobaccos will sail again and while i have turned down offers, the new owners share my passion and enthusiasm for our heavily restricted industry/hobby.

The website currently can not accept orders while the change over takes effect, although by tomorrow it should be back up and running with the new team. It might take a few days for Sam to get upto speed with how the systems work, but hopefully its a smooth transition.

I would like to thank every single one of you who went from being names on a order screen, to being friends I still share my passion with through social media and in person at club meetings/shows. Starting GQ was the scariest thing I have ever done, made becoming a Dad seem like a walk in the park (which we do frequently).

I hope you all give the new GQ Tobaccos a chance and i am pleased to see someone younger than me (although i still feel the like the new kid in the trade after all this time) who has as much enthusiasm, passion and a love for his customers.

I will ensure Sam sends out an email to introduce himself in the coming, but for me this is the last good bye. I will miss serving you all and being a part of an industry which will never go willingly into the history books. The love and friendship shared between the fellow BOTL/SOTL* is something we should all be proud of. (*Brother/Sister of the Leaf)

Any queries regarding orders placed before 6th April 2017 should be directed towards myself ([email protected])

Thank you again and may your pipes never run empty or sour!

Glynn Quelch
    Without the custom/small batch blends, I really don't see how GQ can distinguish itself from other online vendors.
    Follow me and watch calamity ensue: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Absolutely, Ally! I wonder what his "new chapter" will be? Hopefully it will in some way involve pipe tobacco blending.
    Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post

Glynn applied for a job in the Social Care field but hasn't heard about a start date.

This new set-up is an established tobacconist with B&M shops but no internet presence; it will sell the pipes that Glynn used to sell and regular tobacco's but not GQ blends (unless they are willing to buy the recipes from him and then license them at the great expense that Glynn couldn't afford).
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Registered Member
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Just came in and I can read a little more into it now. Looking through Glynn's comment replies the gist that I'm getting is rather anticlimactic. GQ will be under new ownership. Glynn will not be involved other than in an advisory capacity. Small batch GH&C and SG blends will not be available. GQ blends will not be returning, although Glynn hints that he has retained the rights to them and may be cooking up some plan for them.

All in all... move along, folks. Nothing to see here.
    Hmmm, okay. So what is it that we will see available? Anyone has any idea?

Pipe smoker since

Latest from Glynn:

"So yesterday I transferred GQTobaccos to the new owners, spent the day with them showing how the site works and explaining everything. They are technically now taking orders but it's going to take a few days to sort out all the stock & add their own lines. They have been granted permission by PayPal to sell tobacco too (I was refused several times & others have been too).
    I am pleased to say I will still be involved as a consultant to them.
    Sam wants a little time to get used to the system & getting into speed with all the products they now have. But hopefully will be introducing him soon
    I'm even happier now I've spent a good day with them, that GQ is in good hands & they are not going to ruin what I started. So GQ will still be in GQ, even if it's only offering advice & support
    Right now to sort out that damn over 18 pop up!"
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    Latest from Glynn:

"So yesterday I transferred GQTobaccos to the new owners, spent the day with them showing how the site works and explaining everything. They are technically now taking orders but it's going to take a few days to sort out all the stock & add their own lines. They have been granted permission by PayPal to sell tobacco too (I was refused several times & others have been too).
    I am pleased to say I will still be involved as a consultant to them.
    Sam wants a little time to get used to the system & getting into speed with all the products they now have. But hopefully will be introducing him soon
    I'm even happier now I've spent a good day with them, that GQ is in good hands & they are not going to ruin what I started. So GQ will still be in GQ, even if it's only offering advice & support
    Right now to sort out that damn over 18 pop up!"
    Hmmm, good news that he will be a "consultant", but will we ever see any of his famous boutique blends again, Jim??

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast