Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1917 Dunhill Inner Tube 39 Restoration [pic heavy]

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Beautiful pipe and welcome to the forum.Maybe if I am over your way you can take me to the auction.WW1 a ghastly waste of so many and for what?

Pipe smoker since
    From late 80's

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Congratulations Piffyr, amazing job especially in the mouthpiece!
    Pipes and Tobaccos: http://Pipe-smoke.blogspot.com
    Μy Youtube channel: http://tinyurl.com/p3lzsuk

Real Name
    Dean
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Been meaning to reply to this thread for a while but been struggling for time to do so, first off truly great job Anthony, I love working on these older pipes that too me are priceless, they can drive you nuts as well though, how far do you go without effecting shape & color, do I have to leave some imperfections to keep it original or do I take another 0.5mm off the rim to remove a dink, there is always a lot of head scratching & time spent trying to decide on which path to take & the wrong decision can be very costly

you have made all the right decisions on this one, even thought the head must of been telling you to take more off the rim or be more aggressive with the dink's on the bowl, you stood fast & didn't go at them, where many would have, like any antique item, there will be signs of usage & scars of years gone by, sometimes we have to look at this as character marks & not imperfections, your stem work as always is perfect & although this can be a more forgiving area of the restoration to work on, you still have put your personal touch to it, which is a huge improvement

Love seeing these older pipes resorted, especially when they are done by someone with the skills to do it properly, too may of these wonderful pipes I have seen destroyed in the hands of fools

Well done again buddy :)

Restored Estate & New Smoking Pipes

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by oldewylie View Post
    Greetings everyone, I am brand new to this forum. I will be sure to introduce myself properly when I have a few more minutes but I really wanted to post a reply to Anthony's post about my Dunhill Restoration.
    Welcome to PSU from the Land of Sand and Cacti, Phoenix Arizona...

I've been a soldier for 11 years now and having served in Afghanistan, I have an appreciation for "the little things" soldiers cherish and carry with them to keep "home" close to the heart. Often smoke breaks are venues for both careless and heavy conversations for commrades to get things off one's chest.
    Being retired military myself, you are absolutely correct in "the little things" that you carry with you to help you remind yourself that while you are thousands of miles from home, Home is only as far away as a treasured item you have with you. Those hours spent working and talking with your Brothers in Arms create memories that will be in your head for the rest of your life.

Given the age of this pipe and it's heavily smoked condition when found, it's safe to say it was well enjoyed for many years and provided distraction and comfort for the man that carried it. Now back in my possession, it will again be cherished and used with respect for both the pipe and the man who once owned it.

Tonight on the anniversary of Vimy, a battle that defined a small nation exactly 100 years ago, I am honoured to smoke from this pipe and remember those that have gone before.

Lest we forget.
    It is things like this that will never let us forget...

For Those Who Came Home,
    For Those Who Did Not Come Home,
    For Those Who Have Yet To Come Home.

The day we forget our history, or let it lose it's meaning, the closer we come to repeated what caused it in the first place.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Estate Pipe Shop View Post
    [...] they can drive you nuts as well though, how far do you go without effecting shape & color, do I have to leave some imperfections to keep it original or do I take another 0.5mm off the rim to remove a dink, there is always a lot of head scratching & time spent trying to decide on which path to take & the wrong decision can be very costly
    Amen. The frustrating thing is that you'll second guess yourself no matter which way you go. Go ahead and take that 0.5mm off and you'll think later that you probably shouldn't have. Leave it and you'll think it would have probably been better if you'd taken it further. When in doubt, my general rule is to do less. That leaves many more options open.

You're in a tougher position since you haven't the slightest idea who's going to end up with the pipe and what their preferences are. I have the benefit of communicating with the client beforehand to get an idea of their thinking, which greatly informs what direction I'll go in. Some want the best looking pipe possible even if it erases some of the pipe's personal history. Others want to preserve the history even if the pipe doesn't sparkle as much as it could. Still others want one thing for one pipe and the other thing for another pipe. I'm happy to do either (though I do have limits on what I will or won't do) as long as they're satisfied in the end.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR & RESTORATION

fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks | g+: Anthony Cook

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Oldewiley, that is a fantastically good story. I typically don't care who wins any lottery, but I am glad you won this one!

Piffyr, you perfectly balanced restoration with preservation. I would love to know your "insulation" secret.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123