Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm still working my way through Patrick O'Brian's wonderful series of historical naval novels set around the time of the Napoleonic wars (currently on no. 10 "The Far Side Of The World"). He paints his characters as strongly as Dickens ever did, but what is even more special is the authenticity of the language of the day, the accuracy of the seafaring terminology, and, for me, the descriptions of the meals and alcoholic beverages!

With regard to the latter, one of my pals gave me another book called 'Lobscouse & Spotted Dog' - "Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin novels” (lol). This marvellous book is not only a complete compendium of all dishes and drinks referred to in the novels but it has recipes for them all! Wines mentioned include Sillery (a form of champagne), Ch. Margaux, Hermitage, Tokay…..(I have all these in the cellar).

Last night with the Old Farts I said that when I eventually retired I would put on a dinner for close friends, derived entirely from the O’Brian novels:

To start:

- Bisque de Homard

Fish course:

- Halibut steaks with anchovy sauce

Meat course:

- Soused hog’s face

- A nice loin of weal

Pudding:

- Drowned baby

The aperitif will be grog. Champagne with the soup and the fish. Margaux with the pig; Hermitage with the veal; Tokay with the pudding; and a rare old port to finish.
    Last edited by plugugly; 05-02-2017 at 14:20.

Real Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    I'm still working my way through Patrick O'Brian's wonderful series of historical naval novels set around the time of the Napoleonic wars (currently on no. 10 "The Far Side Of The World"). He paints his characters as strongly as Dickens ever did, but what is even more special is the authenticity of the language of the day, the accuracy of the seafaring terminology, and, for me, the descriptions of the meals and alcoholic beverages!

With regard to the latter, one of my pals gave me another book called 'Lobscouse & Spotted Dog' - "Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin novels” (lol). This marvellous book is not only a complete compendium of all dishes and drinks referred to in the novels but it has recipes for them all! Wines mentioned include Sillery (a form of champagne), Ch. Margaux, Hermitage, Tokay…..(I have all these in the cellar).

Last night with the Old Farts I said that when I eventually retired I would put on a dinner for close friends, derived entirely from the O’Brian novels:

To start:

- Bisque de Homard

Fish course:

- Halibut steaks with anchovy sauce

Meat course:

- Soused hog’s face

- A nice loin of weal

Pudding:

- Drowned baby

The aperitif will be grog. Champagne with the soup and the fish. Margaux with the pig; Hermitage with the veal; Tokay with the pudding; and a rare old port to finish.
    If I can get my name off the "No Fly" list, I'll be there. Really it sounds wonderful and your friends are fortunate.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Mmmn. Halibut Steaks with Anchovy Sauce sounds really tempting!!!!!!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    Mmmn. Halibut Steaks with Anchovy Sauce sounds really tempting!!!!!!!!
    Not the soused pig's face, Ally?? It was Capt. Aubrey's favourite dish!!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Currently reading a book on Buddhist thought and practice by the famous Zen Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    Currently reading a book on Buddhist though and practice by the famous Zen Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh.
    I think we readers should try to keep this thread 'current'. When Gus started it I thought it was a good idea.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

Not the soused pig's face, Ally?? It was Capt. Aubrey's favourite dish!!
    When we went to The Kitchin in Edinburgh a couple of years ago I had the Pig's head with a Langoustine, best thing I've ever eaten!

https://thekitchin.com/

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbass View Post
    If I can get my name off the "No Fly" list, I'll be there. Really it sounds wonderful and your friends are fortunate.
    Thanks, Thomas. Piping is a hobby, but food and wine are my passions. Wine is for sharing - I never open a bottle for myself. Over the years I have collected some wonderful wines (my 'savings' for a rainy day, since I have never been able to save money), many of which are very valuable now. Like you, I also love cooking.

So, by way of thanks, I thought I would cook a special meal for seven special friends (our dining table seats eight) and serve the very best wines in my cellar (which would include 2000 Ch. Margaux and 1990 Hermitage la Chapelle (I don't even want to know what these would be worth in a couple of years).

Gentlemen will smoke once the cloth had been drawn and the Queen toasted (sitting down, in naval fashion! LOL). The port will be passed.........and passed..........

PS ARE YOU REALLY ON A "NO FLY" LIST?????
    Last edited by plugugly; 05-02-2017 at 15:23.

Real Name
    Thomas

Thanks, Thomas. Piping is a hobby, but food and wine are my passions. Wine is for sharing - I never open a bottle for myself. Over the years I have collected some wonderful wines (my 'savings' for a rainy day, since I have never been able to save money), many of which are very valuable now. Like you, I also love cooking.

So, by way of thanks, I thought I would cook a special meal for seven special friends (our dining table seats eight) and serve the very best wines in my cellar (which would include 2000 Ch. Margaux and 1990 Hermitage la Chapelle (I don't even want to know what these would be worth in a couple of years).

Gentlemen will smoke once the cloth had been lifted and the Queen toasted (sitting down, in naval fashion! LOL). The port would be passed.........

PS ARE YOU REALLY ON A "NO FLY" LIST?????
    Albeit weak; an attempt at humour.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbass View Post
    Albeit weak; an attempt at humour.
    No problem, Thomas - I was worried for a moment!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast