Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What are you reading?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    I think I'll get that book about Churchill myself. Up till now the best book I've read about that great man, was by wobbly woy Jenkins of all people! Remember him? One of the best autobiographies I've read. A must have book!
    How could I have overlooked this - _Finest Years - Churchill as Warlord 1940-45_ by Max Hastings. Another "must have" Churchill biog.

Pipe smoker since

Everything Max Hastings wrote is a "must read" if you want to study military/political history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Hastings
    Last edited by jimbo44; 05-15-2017 at 17:25.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Currently, I am 3 books behind on my Clive Cussler reading...next weekend, I am going to TRY and meet Alan Dean Foster and Michael Stackpole at the Phoenix Comicon...They are supposed to be at the convention. I've met Mr. Stackpole before, he comes to the Arizona Renaissance Festival every year and does book signings...Great guy. As for Alan Dean Foster, he has written many of the Sci-Fi books I have read over the years. I would love to get to meet him if possible.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Now moved on to _The Thirteen Gun Salute_ in the O'Brian series, and _His Finest Hour_ , Max Hastings' marvellous war biography of Winston Churchill.

Still haven't read Trainspotting, but I did stumble into a Dover reprint of Bodies in a Bookshop at a giveaway price and it has proven to be an interesting and fast read.

It was on my radar because I saw it mentioned in an old issue of TPSE with regards to having a pipe smoking character, but I love books too and I'm a bit of a bibliophile so I really enjoy that aspect too.

I was pulled in from the get-go with the opening lines:

"I don't know what came over me. It wasn't as if there were not enough books in the house to begin with. There were books on the floor, books on all the tables, books on the beds..."

By p.18 we meet Prof. Stubbs
    and our narrator Max informs us:

"He took out his beastly little pipe...and dug a piece of thick dark brown twist which he proceeded to shred into his hand with a tiny lady-like pearl-handled knife he kept for the purpose. He rubbed the grains and fragments of tobacco between his hands and tilted them into the pipe. He tamped the load down with a square thumb and put a light to it with an immense petrol-lighter which flared like a volcano."

Good stuff.

Later on in the book, the Max gives another detailed account of the Professor preparing and smoking some plug.

Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

On my Kindle: The Beautiful Cigar Girl: Mary Rogers, Edgar Allan Poe, and the Invention of Murder, by Daniel Stashower.
    je ne suis pas un fumeur de pipe.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

'South' the story of shackleton's last adventure. (Again)
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

What are you reading?

Just finished reading Hearts In Atlantis and I found it to be pretty boring to be honest.

I just started reading It by Stephen King. Now this is a book! It's freaking huge!

My favorite blend to smoke while reading is 1792 Flake or Bracken Flake.

Last edited by Hawky454; 09-20-2017 at 15:52.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789