Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CAN'T FIND A PIPE TOBACCO I LIKE....

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    Good call Hawky! Also, Rattray's Wallace Flake which IMO has the edge over University Flake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I still need to try that Wallace Flake. I've heard good things.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HCraven View Post
    Good to meet you, judahman! I'll second Dave's recommendation and also point you toward Mac Baren Symphony as something that might fit the bill of "Carter Hall with more kick and flavor"; it's a Burley with a little bit of both Virginia and MB's own Cavendish that gives it a nice sweet/spicy overtone. I am a veteran smoker with many tobaccos at my disposal, but I reach for Symphony more often than not. It has excellent burn characteristics, too, and is very accessible to a new smoker.

Good luck and happy puffing!
    I need to take another look at Symphony along with a whole other bunch of blends from Mac Baren. I have a whole new respect for them.

Do you like their Club blend?

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    I need to take another look at Symphony along with a whole other bunch of blends from Mac Baren. I have a whole new respect for them.

Do you like their Club blend?
    I do, though I don't smoke it as often as some of the others. Their classic blends are underappreciated.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

CAN'T FIND A PIPE TOBACCO I LIKE....

I do, though I don't smoke it as often as some of the others. Their classic blends are underappreciated.

I'm beginning to think you're right. In fact it seemed like it was almost a fad to rag on Mac Baren. I think mainly because a lot of people get bit from Mac Baren blends but if you practice proper technique, I find that they are truly wonderful. I have some old bulk baggies of Symphony but I need to revisit it again from a fresh tin. I've put a lot of Mac Baren blends in my wish list so I'll be making my rounds in due time.
    Last edited by Hawky454; 04-25-2017 at 02:36.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    I'm beginning to think you're right. In fact it seemed like it was almost a fad to rag on Mac Baren. I think mainly because a lot of people get bit from Mac Baren blends but if you practice proper technique, I find that they are truly wonderful. I have some old bulk baggies of Symphony but I need to revisit it again from a fresh tin. I've put a lot of Mac Baren blends in my wish list so I'll be making my rounds in due time.
    Keep ragging on MB, people,and I'll keep buying 100g tins of great tobacco for the price most companies charge for 50g all day long.

Herb

Keep ragging on MB, people,and I'll keep buying 100g tins of great tobacco for the price most companies charge for 50g all day long.

Lol. Ain't that the truth!

Real Name
    R.D. Henard
    Pipe smoker since
    Over 40 years

It's difficult to recommend a mixture without knowing what your tastes are like. It would be like claiming vanilla ice cream is the best without knowing if you prefer the flavor of chocolate. Do you prefer sweet (aromatic) mixtures or stuff that has a straight tobacco flavor? Also, I would suggest staying away from flake and roll tobacco until you get a bit more experience. They taste wonderful but sometimes they can be frustrating to light and keep lit to even old pharts like me.
    A pipe gives a wise man something to fiddle with as a means of gaining time to formulate an intelligent answer. It gives a fool something to stick into his mouth.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Just saw this. You're right though and in a way I'm probably guilty of not having much good to say about MB blends which makes me wonder if cost shapes our opinions?
    In the UK Mac Baren blends don't come cheap...a 50gr pouch of a MB blend is much the same price as 50gr tin of any SG blend. So far I've yet to sample an MB blend which matches the quality of any SG blend I've tried so doubt very much I would buy a MB blend over an SG one.
    Having said that here in Argentina MB blends are 30% to as much as 65% cheaper than all SG/Dunhill/Peterson blends. At that price difference my opinion on a MB blend would almost certainly change.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Just saw this. You're right though and in a way I'm probably guilty of not having much good to say about MB blends which makes me wonder if cost shapes our opinions?
    In the UK Mac Baren blends don't come cheap...a 50gr pouch of a MB blend is much the same price as 50gr tin of any SG blend. So far I've yet to sample an MB blend which matches the quality of any SG blend I've tried so doubt very much I would buy a MB blend over an SG one.
    Having said that here in Argentina MB blends are 30% to as much as 65% cheaper than all SG/Dunhill/Peterson blends. At that price difference my opinion on a MB blend would almost certainly change.
    Rightly or wrongly, I tend to think of Mac Baren's blends (the classic ones, anyway) in a different way than I do most blends from Samuel Gawith. I appreciate Gawith blends for their full, natural flavors and time-honored processing techniques, but to my palate anyway, there aren't too many which I could classify as all-day smokes. They tend to tax my taste buds and nicotine tolerance a bit and not leave me receptive to another bowl the same day. I mean, that's great; I wouldn't want filet mignon for every meal, but I can still occasionally savor and enjoy one immensely. Some people can smoke them all day, but it's just not my thing.

Quality-wise, I think most Mac Baren blends stand up to just about anything. They don't use cheap tobacco, nor do they seem to spare any expense in processing it, though they do reportedly produce tobacco on a much larger scale with more modern, efficient equipment. While I think their blends can be appreciated for their subtle complexity with slow, attentive puffing, they also lend themselves to more casual, repeated smoking throughout the day with their milder flavors. I value that in tobacco more these days since I quit smoking cigs and have more time for pipes. The value aspect makes these blends even more attractive as regular smokes.

Herb

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123