Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
Just saw this. You're right though and in a way I'm probably guilty of not having much good to say about MB blends which makes me wonder if cost shapes our opinions?
In the UK Mac Baren blends don't come cheap...a 50gr pouch of a MB blend is much the same price as 50gr tin of any SG blend. So far I've yet to sample an MB blend which matches the quality of any SG blend I've tried so doubt very much I would buy a MB blend over an SG one.
Having said that here in Argentina MB blends are 30% to as much as 65% cheaper than all SG/Dunhill/Peterson blends. At that price difference my opinion on a MB blend would almost certainly change.
Rightly or wrongly, I tend to think of Mac Baren's blends (the classic ones, anyway) in a different way than I do most blends from Samuel Gawith. I appreciate Gawith blends for their full, natural flavors and time-honored processing techniques, but to my palate anyway, there aren't too many which I could classify as all-day smokes. They tend to tax my taste buds and nicotine tolerance a bit and not leave me receptive to another bowl the same day. I mean, that's great; I wouldn't want filet mignon for every meal, but I can still occasionally savor and enjoy one immensely. Some people can smoke them all day, but it's just not my thing.

Quality-wise, I think most Mac Baren blends stand up to just about anything. They don't use cheap tobacco, nor do they seem to spare any expense in processing it, though they do reportedly produce tobacco on a much larger scale with more modern, efficient equipment. While I think their blends can be appreciated for their subtle complexity with slow, attentive puffing, they also lend themselves to more casual, repeated smoking throughout the day with their milder flavors. I value that in tobacco more these days since I quit smoking cigs and have more time for pipes. The value aspect makes these blends even more attractive as regular smokes.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk