Page 52 of 82 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking?/Eating In?/Eating Out?

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    You'd think so Chris but all the fishmongers ever seem to have is Hake, Chicken of the Sea and Tuna. Still to find out what the heck chicken of the sea actually is but I get the feeling it's akin to dogfish. I suspect the lack of variety is due to our location in the Atlantic...the sea temperature might not be quite right.
    Presumably the difference in ocean water temp in the South Atlantic. Huge variety of fish in the North Atlantic. We are very lucky in Scotland because we get fresh fish from there, the North Sea, Channel and of course fabulous shellfish from the West of Scotland.
    Last edited by plugugly; 10-08-2018 at 10:29.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonB View Post
    Chicken of the sea is Albacore afaik. Similar to you, here on the south west coast of the Dark Continent, we have a lack of variety. Hake, kingklip, tuna and albacore are the staples. And big industrial fisheries for Anchovy and Sardine/Pilchard make up the balance of the industry in which I am employed.
    You could be right Anton but it certainly doesn't cook or taste like tuna. I'd say the flesh is more like monkfish. I'll investigate further.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Presumably the difference in ocean water temp in the South Atlantic. Huge variety of fish in the North Atlantic. We are very lucky in Scotland because we get fresh fish from there, the North Sea, Channel and of course fabulous shellfish from the West of Scotland.
    The UK especially Scotland is the place to be if you like variety and quality Chris. A day at the seaside always ended with us getting whelks/cockles and vinegar.
    The shellfish available here is mostly mussels/prawns and the quality hit or miss. It comes frozen at a high price so I rarely bother buying it. Probably fished for further south where the waters are cleaner and colder.

Pipe smoker since

Keeping to the fish theme with daughter doing cod meunière; fizzy before and a good white wine with.
    Last edited by jimbo44; 10-08-2018 at 17:08.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

More Fish, after a trip to the fishmongers shop I bought 3 big haddock and making fish cakes today.

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    More Fish, after a trip to the fishmongers shop I bought 3 big haddock and making fish cakes today.
    Panko crumbs? Dash of Worcestershire sauce?

Real Name
    Dave

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I used to make fish cakes all the time from trim after portioning fish, usually salmon or striped bass, for staff. Saute chopped shallots, chopped roasted red peppers, fresh basil, parsley, and scallions. Into a large mixing bowl, the saute, the fish, mayo, whole egg (2-3 depending on the batch size), S&P, dash of Worcestershire, a few drops of tabasco, and just enough panko to bind. Let the mixture rest in the fridge to come together, and absorb the liquids (I didn't want them too bready). Form the cakes, brown in a saute pan, and finish in the oven. Whatever the staff didn't eat, I took home!

Of course its easy in a restaurant setting when everything is already prepped and right in front of you. If I actually had to chop veg, I'd say diced celery and/or leeks would be nice to add.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

Just plain old british fish cakes, boil pots then add fish and steam, mash together with a beaten egg, cool, shape and coat in breadcrumbs, serve with tomato ketchup and bread and butter.

Got a big pot of three meat chili simmering on the stove. Pork sausage, ground beef and buffalo, along with black beans and corn as the main ingredients. I'll be topping off a bowl or three with some shredded aged cheddar, a dallop of cream cheese, and as many jalapenos as my stomach can stand soon. Should go real nice on this cool day.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    Got a big pot of three meat chili simmering on the stove. Pork sausage, ground beef and buffalo, along with black beans and corn as the main ingredients. I'll be topping off a bowl or three with some shredded aged cheddar, a dallop of cream cheese, and as many jalapenos as my stomach can stand soon. Should go real nice on this cool day.
    That sounds alright, Thomas.
    I've just had a 'dodgy' mutton curry, down the pub. Best thing about it was the onion bahgie.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Thomas

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    That sounds alright, Thomas.
    I've just had a 'dodgy' mutton curry, down the pub. Best thing about it was the onion bahgie.
    Sounds just right Simon! I knew CD had his culinary head on straight.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Page 52 of 82 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast