Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking?/Eating In?/Eating Out?

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Seen as I had the time I decided to fry some morcilla (black pudding/blood sausage) and eggs for lunch. Very tasty it was too along with a pot of 'real' tea. Very impressed with the morcilla here as it contains just enough spice without giving me indigestion.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Seen as I had the time I decided to fry some morcilla (black pudding/blood sausage) and eggs for lunch. Very tasty it was too along with a pot of 'real' tea. Very impressed with the morcilla here as it contains just enough spice without giving me indigestion.
    Gawd, I do love Stornoway black pudding! How does morcilla compare, Crawford?

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Gawd, I do love Stornoway black pudding! How does morcilla compare, Crawford?
    Never tried Stornoway black pudding Chris...could never find it in Glasgow. Always stuck to my local butchers one which was more creamy than spicy and similar to the morcilla. Still miss the fruit pudding or fried dumpling...nothing similar to that here.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Never tried Stornoway black pudding Chris...could never find it in Glasgow. Always stuck to my local butchers one which was more creamy than spicy and similar to the morcilla. Still miss the fruit pudding or fried dumpling...nothing similar to that here.
    Clootie dumpling, lol, surprisingly good with the full fry-up!! Black pudding, white pudding ("mealie pudd" in Aberdeen) and clootie dumpling - the full shillin!
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-11-2018 at 17:11.

Real Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Clootie dumpling, lol, surprisingly good with the full fry-up!! Black pudding, white pudding ("mealie pudd" in Aberdeen) and clootie dumpling - the full shillin!
    I "liked" your post because I didn't understand a single word.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Missus is making pizzas for dinner on account of the continuing Mediterranean weather here in Jockland.

I have been making pizza, from scratch, since I was a student in 1974, and I'm told mine are excellent.

But I have to admit, hers are better! I have watched carefully from the moment she kneads the dough, and I still don't know how she does it, but I don'care - if we had a wood-burning oven, they would be as good as anything we had recently in Sorrento (near Naples - the home of pizza).

Once the dough has risen, been proved, kneaded again and rolled out, she coats the pizzas with homemade concentrated tomato sauce and the three of us add our favourite toppings. Into a VERY hot oven they go, having first been placed on some sort of special pizza- baking tray that she found. Ten minutes and they are ready.

In addition to the compulsory bufala mozzarella, mine get tuna chunks and beaucoup d'anchois!! I also like to sprinkle mine with oregano (better than basil for this, IMO) before it goes in the oven.
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-11-2018 at 17:37.

Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Can you say Barbera?

Whoops - sorry.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    Can you say Barbera?

Whoops - sorry.
    No problem, Jim, my resolve is steely

Under normal circs I would accompany this with a chianti classico, even though they are from Tuscany rather than Campania. To be honest, when we were away, I much preferred the local whites to the reds.

Pipe smoker since

I was thinking of Pauline's pizza - not your fishy, anchovy laden one!

I agree on the oregano; if it needs basil, there's too much tomato for me.

You (we) need one of these:

pizza oven.jpg

https://www.thestonebakeovencompany.co.uk/build-kits/
    Last edited by jimbo44; 07-11-2018 at 18:27.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Tonight’s Menu

Smoked salmon

The missus will be passing on this, so I can prepare it how I like.

- I very much enjoy trying Speyside salmon smoked over different woods. Oak is standard, but this is smoked over birch and alder, which seems to enhance the smoky flavour.

- As usual, it will get plenty of lemon juice and black pepper – crucial for smoked salmon, IMO

- The accompaniments are important; they need to be acidic, so I have capers, thinly sliced red onion and thinly sliced pickled onion (yes). Sliced gherkin would also work.

With this, I will drink a Grand Cru Chablis (to be posted later in the wine thread). The missus will help me see off the bottle!

Fash ‘n’ Chips

Herein lies a problem – friction in the kitchen – the missus does not like me doing it the classical way. I would normally batter the fish and deep-fry it (not healthy, she says). The chips should ideally be twice fried in goose fat (not having that either – fatal, she says). So, a compromise:

- Fresh haddock fillet (a must) is dusted in flour, dipped in beaten egg, coated in breadcrumbs and shallow-fried (!) in light olive oil.

- King Edward potatoes (a must) are peeled and cut into chips and thoroughly washed in cold water, before being dried and twice deep-fried on corn oil.

I suppose it will be okay.

With the F&Cs we will both drink a NZ white wine that is seriously ‘trending’ (to be posted later in the wine thread)
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-13-2018 at 17:16.

Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast