Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Cooking?/Eating In?/Eating Out?

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    Jim, you need a Chimney starter, 1 firelighter will suffice and throw away the lighter fluid, it taints the food taste.
    A chimney starter is a must, Jim. I have two, but they're so old and used that one of them needs to be replaced. Fast, efficient way to get hot coals without using lighter fluid and there's none of that starter fluid taste to the food.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

A fishing mate of mine whose wife happens to me my wife's friend since schooldays invited us out to their place in the countryside for BBQ lunch today. Oscar has an engineering background and is always tinkering about building things. He built this oil drum wood fired oven a couple of years ago and it's still going strong. Beef rib, potato and sweet potato were on the menu today....simple ingredients no sauces or spices but all very tasty.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    A fishing mate of mine whose wife happens to me my wife's friend since schooldays invited us out to their place in the countryside for BBQ lunch today. Oscar has an engineering background and is always tinkering about building things. He built this oil drum wood fired oven a couple of years ago and it's still going strong. Beef rib, potato and sweet potato were on the menu today....simple ingredients no sauces or spices but all very tasty.

What a great rig! I'm sure it cooks and smokes very well.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    What a great rig! I'm sure it cooks and smokes very well.
    Supposed to be great for cooking pizza Russ.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Long post!

This is where I took my son for lunch yesterday. A long-established and famous Italian Deli. The family came from Campania, inland from Naples and not that far from Sorrento where we went on holiday in May. I have been shopping here since I was a student in the 70's. In those days, they had a huge coffee roasting machine in the shop and when it was in action you could smell the wonderful aroma a mile away, depending on the wind direction. It also had big barrels of wine and you could fill up any vessel you wished - from empty bottles to buckets!

V&C.jpg

Doesn't look much from the outside, but the inside is like Dr Who's Tardis!

V&C Shop.jpg

At the back they have added a caffe which has a simple, but authentic menu of delicious Italian dishes. There is also the distinct advantage that you can pick any wines from the shop, at retail prices (most restaurants charge 3x retail, or more!), and take them through to drink with the meal. This is where I bought the two bottles of wine that I ended up having to consume myself - no great hardship!

Caffe V&C.jpg

The menu is below. I started with arancini, a Sicilian speciality of deep fried rice balls and followed up with the pasta and Tuscan sausage. My son had the same main dish but started with the mixed bruschetta. Just before we started, my son was phoned by the recruiter - saying that another law firm wanted to see him at 3pm. Wisely, he decided just to have a sip of the wines.

We chatted about lots of things, including the vagaries of career choice, but if I relate the conversation it will be in Back Room.

Sample Menu: (not identical to yesterday's)

ANTIPASTI
    • Zuppa del Giorno - £4.60
    Homemade soup of the day served with V&C bakery bread
    • Bruschetta alla Napoletana - £5.10
    Italian tomatoes, anchovy, capers and olives marinated in extra virgin olive oil, garlic and basil, served on V&C® griddled sourdough bread
    • Prosciutto e Figi - £7.10
    Figs from the Milan market with prosciutto di Parma
    • V&C Antipasto - £10.50, or £18.50 for two
    Selection of Italian cured meats, Fonteluna® sausage, Mozzarella di bufala, Italian tomatoes, roast vegetables, bruschetta and rocket
    • Polpettine al Sugo - £7.10
    Homemade pork and beef meatballs with pine nuts, in a rich tomato sugo served with V&C focaccia

PRIMI PIATTI
    • Rigatoni all' Amatriciana - £9.95
    Pasta served with an Italian smoked bacon and tomato sugo.
    Recommended wine: Valpolicella 2008, Brigaldara (Bin 9)
    • Spaghettini con Chantarelle - £10.95
    Spaghetti with new season chantarelle mushrooms, garlic, olive oil and a little chilli
    Recommended wine: Piemonte Barbera 2010 Araldica (Bin 7)
    • Ravioli con Spinachi e Ricotta - £9.95
    Handmade pasta filled with spinach and ricotta and served in a rich basil butter
    Recommended wine: Pinot Grigio 2008 V&C (Bin 3)
    • Pappardelle Con Salmone - £10.95
    Pasta Ribbons with smoked salmon, cream and a dash of vodka
    Recommended wine: Garganega 2009 V&C (Bin 2)

SECONDI PIATTI
    • Frittata con Fava - £10.95
    Italian style omelette made with broad beans, fresh herbs and Parmigiano Reggiano, served with a light salad
    Recommended wine: Gavi di Gavi 2009 Terredavino (Bin 5)
    • Fritto Misto - £13.75
    Lightly fried squid, prawns, halibut and courgettes, served with a light salad
    Recommended wine: Fiano-Greco 2009, A-Mano (Bin 4)
    • Pollo Saltimbocca - £13.50
    Free range chicken breast pan-fried with sage, proscuitto and white wine, served with mashed potatoes and broccoli
    Recommended wine: Gavi di Gavi 2009 Terredavino (Bin 5)
    • Bistecca Di Manzo - £15.95
    Grilled Rib-eye steak served medium rare with rocket and shavings of parmigiano
    Reccomended wine: Chianti Fiasco 2008 V&C (bin 13)

PIZZE
    • Pizza Gorgonzola e Zucchine - £10.25
    V&C bakery pizza bianca with gorgonzola and courgette
    Recommended wine: Valpolicella 2008, Brigaldara (Bin 9)
    • Pizza con Romano e Rucola - £10.95
    V&C bakery pizza with a tomato and basil sugo, salami, rocket and mozzarella di bufala
    Recommended wine: Sherezade 2008 Donnafugato (Bin 10)
    • Pizza Peperoni e Cipolle - £9.95
    V&C bakery pizza bianca with roasted onion and peppers and mozzarella di bufala
    Recommended wine: Bianco di Custoza Amedeo (Bin 6)

Panetella
    • Mozzarella e Pomodoro - £5.95
    Mozzarella di bufala, aubergine and chery tomatoes.
    • Proscuitto e Rucola - £7.25
    Proscuitto, rocket, parmesan and artichoke hearts.
    • Gorgonzola e Zucchine - £5.95
    Gorgonzola, courgette and rocket.
    • Paesano Salciccie e Mostarda di Frutta - £5.95
    Paesano sausage, mustard fruit chutney and rocket.

CONTORNI
    • Insalata Mista - £3.00
    Seasonal leaves, roasted red pepper, fennel and cherry tomatoes dressed with V&C Fior’ Fiore® extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    • Insalata di Rucola - £3.30
    Rocket and Parmigiano dressed with olive oil and lemon.

Every dish is individually prepared and freshly cooked to order.
    Please be prepared to wait for up to 30 minutes for each course at peak times.
    Service charge is not included.
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-18-2018 at 12:08.

Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

just like being in Italy!
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

What a great place to shop and eat, Chris. And congrats to your son on his job offers, too.
    Russ

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    What a great place to shop and eat, Chris. And congrats to your son on his job offers, too.
    Thanks, Russ. Both his offers are based in Edinburgh and are 'top tier' corporate law firms. One is a big-name international firm, the other is Scottish and focussed on medium-sized (c.£50m) deals. The latter has a 'nicer' feel to it - corporate law is a dog-eat-dog business, and he got his share of 'beasting' in London. He likes his offshore law firm job in Jersey, but says that if he stays in it too long getting back here will become increasingly difficult, and he always wanted to end up in Auld Reekie (and who wouldn't!). I think he'll plump for the Scottish firm, which is on the 'up and up'. Whichever, it will be great to have him and his lively Kentuckian wife here - they are great company and they love the dog, so they can look after her when we are away on holiday!!

Re: V & C - It is still a great place, but not as much fun as when the wine barrels were there and they used to roast their own coffee. In 1972, I lived about 100 yards away. It was this shop that got me into cooking and I have been cooking Italian food ever since. The other great ploy they had was to bake small pizzas in a little plug-in Baby Belling electric oven, which, with the cheeses, salamis and coffee, greatly added to the Room Note. They would then sell these little pizzas for a shilling each!!
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-18-2018 at 14:38.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

I'm very envious that you have such an Italian restaurant and deli to go to. When I lived back East in Connecticut and New Jersey, the Italian heritage was very strong and authentic Italian food was made by real Italians! I now live in an area that's an ethnic food wasteland where the common fare is retail-chain fake "pizza" and Americanized Chinese take-out.
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 07-18-2018 at 15:16.
    Russ

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Must admit Italian food is not my favourite but I did enjoy the meal the last time my Edinburgh based corporate lawyer niece took us out for lunch when we were there three years ago.....don't think it was the same place Chris but it might have been.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930